Program Dates and Costs
|Summer 1, 2017:
||May 8 – June 19
|Summer 2, 2017:
||June 22 – August 3
|Fall 1, 2017:
||August 21 – October 16
|Fall 2, 2017:
||October 19 – December 14
|Spring 1, 2018:
||January 4 – February 27
|Spring 2, 2018:
||March 1 – April 30
|Summer 1, 2018:
||May 7 – June 18
|Summer 2, 2018:
||June 21 – August 2
|Fall 1, 2018:
||August 20 – October 11
|Fall 2, 2018:
||October 16 – December 13
Click to see the detailed academic calendar (pdf).
Fall and spring sessions are 8 weeks long, and summer sessions are 6 weeks long. All sessions include at least 148 hours of classroom instruction. Half-sessions are available at the beginning of each full session (4 weeks in fall and spring, 3 weeks in summer).
Costs Per Session (148 hours of instruction)
Costs to attend the ELI are comparable to or in many cases lower than those of other intensive English programs in the US. All costs are listed in US dollars.
||COST Fall/Spring sessions
||COST Summer sessions
|University Student Fee
(Required-unless student provides proof of acceptable coverage. **An insurance waiver form must be completed by the student’s insurance company and submitted for consideration prior to registration.)
(Housing charges vary according to assignment. Estimated range of cost for housing is $1425 – $2115 per session. All housing assignments are subject to availability.)
- Application fee: $50 (non-refundable, valid for one year)
- Tuition deposit: $250 (required – applied to charges when student enrolls, refundable only if proof of visa denial is provided)
- Express mail fee: $50 (optional – paid only if student chooses to receive admission documents via express mail service)
- Students should plan to bring approximately $250 – $350 per session for personal expenses.
- On-Campus Housing Application Fee: $25 (non-refundable); deposit required if on-campus housing selected
- A $75 Late Testing Fee is charged to new ELI students who do not take the ELI Placement Exam at the designated time (8:15 am on Day 1 of each session)
- If you choose ELI Airport Pick Up Service, a $30 fee will be added to your tuition payment.
- *A block of 40 meals will be provided for use at the Dining Halls (based on 2016 costs). The remaining dollar amount will be deposited in an online account you can access called Bama Cash.
- Half-sessions are available at the beginning of each full session. Starting dates for full and half-sessions are the same. The estimated cost of a half-session is $2,874 in the Fall and Spring and $2,781 in the Summer.
- Session costs typically increase slightly each year in August, beginning with the Fall 1 session.
- The ELI’s summer sessions are designed so that students may choose to complete either one or two full-time sessions in 12 weeks. Students on an F-1 (student) visa should refer to the ELI Student Handbook for information on maintaining full-time status during the summer sessions.
- **If certified coverage is acceptable, the waiver is approved and the student is not required to purchase medical insurance. If certified coverage is not acceptable, the student is required to purchase medical insurance at the time of registration. Please contact the ELI office to submit a waiver form for consideration.
The English Language Institute
Intensive English Program